Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pulled Pork its what is for dinner!



Our pulled pork dinner was a success story!  First I had to select the best cut for the job; no easy task.  I have cooked a roast or 20, but you really never know how the roast will turn.  

After selecting a boneless pork tenderloin, I decided that I was going to carefully select spices and flavors to compliment a nice pork roast dinner.  I had many side dishes in mind, but had to remember that I like spices, lots of spices.  Also, I have to balance the spice and flavor to create the perfect meal for my family or they will not be happy.  My youngest is not fond of spicy foods.

I am a big fan of Quinoa and rice.  After deciding on Quinoa, I still needed one more semi-sweet side dish that would put this spicy pulled pork diner in check.  That is when I thought of Butternut Squash.  I love Butternut Squash, it has the sweetness of fresh harvest and the consistency of puree.  I love puree and like I have said before, "We should eat to live, not live to eat, but I live to eat!" :)

So, on that note here goes my recipe.

 3 to 4lb pork tenderloin
12oz spicy bbq sauce of choice
1/2 cup of honey
1 or 2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of sherry cooking wine
4oz of tomato sauce or ketchup
1 cup of water

*Keep 4oz of the bbq sauce to prepare serving sauce

2 cups of boiling water
1 cup of Quinoa
Chicken Bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
3 teaspoons of olive oil

1 butternut squash
1/3 cup of olive oil to brush squash or cooking spray (low calorie choice)
salt and pepper to taste

For the pork loin
Combine all ingredients in the crock-pot and let it slow cook until the meat flakes of the tenderloin.

For the Quinoa
Bring water to boil, add olive oil, chicken bouillon and quinoa.  Reduce fire to low and cover.  Stir occasionally and let the quinoa cook for about 15 minutes.

For Butternut Squash
Brush squash with olive oil or spray with cooking spray, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste and bake on 350 degrees on a flat baking pan for 45 minutes.  Check every 20 minutes, as doneness may vary upon high altitude. 

After the tenderloin is done, get it out of the crock-pot and wait for until it is cool to touch, pull meat of the tenderloin and place in a separate dish.

In a separate bowl mix the 4oz of spicy bbq sauce with 4oz of the broth from the crock pot.  Pour over the meat and serve with quinoa and butternut squash, and enjoy!

1 comment: