Monday, April 16, 2012

Crabby, crabby, crabby






I have seen as much lobster and crab as I can take for the season, year, my life while visiting New England; I eat lobster at least three out of seven days.  Wow, can you say too much?  

I learned a couple of things about eating seafood; first, it is a gift from the sea; second, you should count your blessings if you are not allergic to it and third, I cannot have so much to ever say, "I have had enough seafood."  

This week's recipe is of course one of my favorites, Crab Frittata.

First get your Crab, any type of crab you prefer.  To me, they are all delicious. 

To prepare your frittata you will need;
6 to 8 eggs or egg substitute
1/2 to 3/4 pound of crab meat (separate the lump)
3 tbs olive oil or non-stick spray for low calorie
 salt and pepper to taste
2 chopped green onions 
1/3 cup of feta cheese
1/4 cup of water 

Beat the eggs with the water for fluffiness, add crab meat, green onions, feta cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the olive oil into a stainless steel or cast iron skillet on medium heat, add the batter and push the sides to allow the mix to cook.  Finish the frittata in the oven at 350 degrees for the last 10 to 15 minutes.  Wait until the frittata is golden in color to retrieve from the oven.  Check for doneness inserting a toothpick in the middle, just like when you bake a cake.  If its runny, it is not ready and leave it in the oven for a approximately 5 to 10 more minutes.

To serve your frittata cut around the edges and use a dish to cover and catch it when you flip it.   It should come right out.

Serve the frittata with potatoes, fresh vegetables or salad.  
I prefer mine with salad and potatoes.

For my salad I use Spinach, grape tomatoes, homemade bacon bits, red onion and honey vinaigrette.

For the salad you will need
1 16 oz bag of baby spinach
3/4 cup of grape tomatoes
4 to 5 slices of crispy cooked bacon (your favorite bacon) 
1/2 small red onion cut in slices

For the vinaigrette you will need 
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
pinch pepper
2 tsp of olive oil
mix well and pour over your salad and enjoy

   



1 comment: